Why 3 procedures ?
This procedure is recent (2001)
It was developed initially like the “first possible time” of a gastric bypass :
At the very obese subjects (more than 150 kgs), the bypass is sometimes dangerous for engineering problems. Sleeve is carried out, which makes it possible to make lose forty kilos in one year. If it proves to be insufficient to obtain a more important weight loss, it can be then transformed into bypass under good conditions of safety.
Currently, some teams prefer Sleeve than gastroplasty for the following reasons:
- It involves a fast feeling of satiety, like the gastroplasty.
- It does not require the installation of a foreign body (gastric band).
- The vomiting is less frequent than with the gastroplasty.
- It decreases the rate of ghrelin, and thus the feeling of hunger, as in the bypass.
Its main issue is represented by the ignorance of the long-term results.
- At 5 years old, the results seem intermediate between gastroplasty and bypass. I.e. – on average
- a weight loss of about 60% of the weight excess.
- Then, they should be maintained, but it no current study to show it there.